Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chile 2012!

Watch out, degus. I'm coming back.

It's true, I'm returning to Chile for more delightfully degu-dominated field research! When I left Chile at the end of October in 2011, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to return to finish some of my projects. Luckily, my grant writing paid off and I now have sufficient funds to pursue another awesome field season! I am so thankful for the grants I've been awarded, and I'd like to thank these organizations; the Tufts University Graduate School, Sigma Xi, the National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Program, the Animal Behavior Society, the American Mammalogist Society, and the Tufts International Research Program. In addition to these funding sources, my continuing field research is also made possible by the support of my collaborators; Dr. Loren Hayes (University of Tennessee at Chattanooga) and Dr. Luis Ebensperger (Pontificia Catolica Universidad de Chile).

I'm arriving in Santiago on August 7th, and then I'll be spending the next four months trapping, sampling, and observing degus at the same field site I used last year. I've spent the last few weeks ordering supplies, drafting up research schedules, and figuring out how I'm going to pack everything. I'm almost ready to go, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing my Chilean friends. I should also mention that I'll be living with a Chilean family during the next four months; my good friend Cecilia has offered to let me live with her family, and I'm looking forward to improving my Spanish, eating delicious Chilean dishes, and getting more exposure to Chilean culture.

Stay tuned for more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog